Welcome to the Alson H. Smith Jr. AREC, located in Winchester, Va.
The mission of the Alson H. Smith Jr. AREC is to creatively use science and contemporary technology to solve horticultural crop production problems, develop and disseminate knowledge, train new researchers and industry leaders, and improve the quality of life of Virginia's citizens. Please visit our current research information on tree fruit and grapes.
- Tom Thompson named associate dean and director of international programs in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- StREAM Lab creates a healthy future for historic Stroubles Creek
- Nemo found at Virginia Seafood Agricultural Research and Extension Center
- Catherine Larochelle named assistant professor of agricultural and applied economics
- Vitor R.G. Mercadante hired as assistant professor of animal and poultry sciences, Extension specialist
- Haibo Huang named assistant professor of food science and technology
- Julie Shortridge named assistant professor of biological systems engineering
- Virginia Tech researchers: Climate change may benefit Ethiopia, increase the country's access to water
- Scientists find new system in tomato’s defense against bacterial speck disease
- Virginia Tech’s brewhouse display on tap for Saturday’s Deschutes Street Pub in Roanoke