Welcome to the Alson H. Smith Jr. AREC, located in Winchester, Va.
The mission of the Alson H. Smith Jr. AREC is to creatively use science and contemporary technology to solve horticultural crop production problems, develop and disseminate knowledge, train new researchers and industry leaders, and improve the quality of life of Virginia's citizens. Please visit our current research information on tree fruit and grapes.
- Virginia Tech Beef Cattle Center earns 2017 AICA Outstanding Seedstock Producer Award
- BP oil spill did $17.2 billion in damage to natural resources, scientists find in first-ever financial evaluation of spill’s impact
- Virginia Tech researchers: As rain and temperatures increase, so will costs to mitigate pollution
- Virginia Tech Board of Visitors approves proposed School of Plant and Environmental Sciences
- Virginia Tech researchers find special bacteria in Claytor Lake that can freeze water
- Virginia Cooperative Extension provides training in facilitation skills
- Virginia Tech researcher leads team that examines molecular-level problems of heart disease
- Virginia Tech professor speaks on Capitol Hill about impact and value of funding science
- Virginia Tech’s Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics to co-host Governor’s Conference on Agricultural Trade on March 6-7
- It’s a bird! A plane! It’s John Jelesko — Super Poison Ivy Man!