The Shenandoah Valley Agricultural Research and Extension Center includes more than 900 acres of owned and leased land in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley. Research and Extension programs at the center cover livestock production, forages and forage systems, and small-scale forestry and wood lot management.
The center’s beef cattle programs include breeding, reproduction, nutrition, and management, as well as controlled rotational grazing and forage systems. Sheep programs include ram performance testing and commercial ewe lamb development.
The goal of this work is to help develop a more forage-based sustainable agricultural industry in Virginia and to be a leader in livestock and forage-based research in the mid-Atlantic region of the United States. In the past five years, several small-scale forestry demonstration areas were developed to educate landowners about long-term management of their valuable forest resources.
A two-acre memorial plot at the center pays tribute to Cyrus McCormick and the ingenuity of the McCormick family. The memorial area is designated a National Historic Landmark and Virginia Wayside site, and is toured by thousands of visitors every year.
2015 Field Day
The Virginia Tech Shenandoah Valley Agricultural Research and Extension Center, McCormick Farm, held its biennial Field day on Wednesday, August 5, 2015. During the day, researchers were on-hand to review and discuss their ongoing research projects being conducted at the Shenandoah Valley AREC. This was an excellent educational program, especially for producers interested in livestock, forage production, grazing, and forest management.
- Virginia Tech researchers: new LED display lights improve taste of milk
- Avoid spreading boxwood disease when decorating for the holidays
- Carl Griffey reappointed W.G. Wysor Professor of Agriculture
- Ancient enzyme provides insights into modern-day metabolism, Virginia Tech researchers find
- Pardoned National Thanksgiving Turkey coming to Virginia Tech
- Charles Hagedorn honored with emeritus status
- Gordon Groover honored with emeritus status
- Virginia Tech joins Chesapeake Research Consortium
- Virginia Tech and Penn State researchers: Parasitic plants may form weapons out of genes stolen from hosts
- StREAM Lab creates a healthy future for historic Stroubles Creek
- Field Day Proceedings
- Virginia Tech Sheep Center/Virginia Ram Test Sale
Annual McCormick Farm Mill Day
- Our 11th Annual Mill Day will take place on Saturday, October 1, 2016.
- Our 10th Annual Mill Day was canceled due to inclement weather.