Laura K Strawn
Assistant Professor of Food Science
- Ph.D. Food Science with minors in Epidemiology and Microbiology 2014 Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- M.S. Food Science, Food Microbiology and Safety Emphasis 2007-2009 University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- B.S. Food Science and Technology, Microbiology Emphasis 2003-2007 University of California, Davis, CA
- American Society for Microbiology Career Development Grants for Postdoctoral Women; 2014
- Western New York Institute of Food Technologies Graduate Scholarship; 2013
- Cornell, Goya Foods Prize; 2013
- Cornell, Research Travel Grant Award; 2012, 2013
- Institute of Food Technologist – Feeding Tomorrow Scholarship; 2012, 2013
- International Association for Food Protection – Travel Award Scholarship; 2012
(23 total since 2007; only past 3 years listed)
- Research interests focus on enhanced microbial safety of produce production at both the pre- and post-harvest level
- Subtyping of bacterial foodborne pathogens for source tracking and outbreak detection
- Development of educational materials and trainings for producers and processors directed towards food safety and microbiological quality of produce
*Referred Papers (9 total since 2010; only past 3 yrs listed)
- Weller, DW, M Wiedmann, LK Strawn. 2014. Irrigation is Significantly Associated with an Increased Prevalence of Listeria monocytogenes in Produce Production Environments in New York State. J Food Prot. JFP-14-584.
- Strawn, LK, MD Danyluk, RW Worobo, M Wiedmann. 2014. Distributions of Salmonella Subtypes Differ Between Two US Produce Growing Regions. Appl Environ Microbiol. 80:3982-3991.
- Chapin, TC, KK Nightingale, RW Worobo, M Wiedmann, LK Strawn. 2014. Geographical and meteorological factors associated with isolation of Listeria species in NYS produce production and natural environments. J. Food Prot. 77:1919-1928.
- Strawn, LK, YT Grohn, S Warchocki, RW Worobo, EA, Bihn, M Wiedmann. 2013. Risk Factors Associated with Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes Contamination of Produce Fields. Appl Environ Microbiol. 79:7618-7627.
- HC den Bakker, S Warchocki, E Wright, A Allred, C Ahlstrom, C Manuel, M Stasiewicz, A Burrell, S Roof, LK Strawn, E Fortes, KK Nightingale, D Kephart, M Wiedmann. 2014. Five New Species of Listeria from agricultural and natural environments in the US. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 64:1882-1889.
- Strawn, LK, ED Fortes, EA Bihn, KK Nightingale, YT Grohn, RW Worobo, M Wiedmann, PW Bergholz. 2013. Landscape and meteorological factors affecting prevalence of three food-borne pathogens in fruit and vegetable farms. Appl Environ Microbiol. 79:588-600.
*Book Chapters, non-peer reviewed Review Articles, and Theses (4 total since 2009; only past 3 yrs listed)
- Strawn, LK, EW Brown, JRD David, HC den Bakker, P Vangay, F Yiannas, and M Wiedmann. 2015. Big Data in Food Safety and Quality. Food Technol. Accepted, February Issue.
- Strawn, LK. 2014. Ecology and Epidemiology of Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes In New York State ProduceProduction Environments. PhD thesis, Cornell.
*Abstracts – Oral (6 total since 2010; only past 3 yrs listed)
- LK Strawn, YT Grohn, RW Worobo, EA Bihn, and M Wiedmann. Identifying Field-level Risk Factors Associated with Listeria monocytogenes and Salmonella Contamination in Produce Fields. IAFP Meeting, Charlotte, NC, July 2013.
- G Ryan, S Warchoki, LK Strawn, M Wiedmann and PW Bergholz. Impact of Riparian Forests on the Prevalence of Escherichia coli Contamination in Produce Fields. IAFP Meeting, Charlotte, NC, July 2013.
- TK, Chapin, SN Masiello, M Wiedmann, PW Bergholz and LK Strawn. The Effect of Species on Spatio-temporal Distribution and Geographical Predictors of Listeria in Natural Areas and the Produce Preharvest Environment of New York State. IAFP Meeting, Charlotte, NC, July 2013.
- LK Strawn, RW Worobo, YT Grohn, M Wiedmann and PW Bergholz. Factors that Predict the Likelihood of Listeria monocytogenes Contamination in Produce Fields. IAFP Meeting, Providence, RI, July 2012.
*Abstracts – Posters (11 total since 2008; only past 3 yrs listed)
- LK Strawn, AS Harrand, PM Illas-Ortiz and M Wiedmann. Tracking and Modeling of Listeria monocytogenes Contamination in Spinach Fields from Planting to Harvest. IAFP Meeting, Indianapolis, IN, August 2014.
- F Friedrich, MD Danyluk, A Whidden, LK Strawn, M Wiedmann and M Robert. Microbiological Evaluation of Florida Cantaloupe Packinghouses. IAFP Meeting, Indianapolis, IN, August 2014.
- PW Bergholz, GT Ryan, LK Strawn, SK Warchocki and M Wiedmann. The potential role of riparian corridors in overland dispersal bacteria among vegetable farms. ESA Meeting, Minneapolis, MN, August 2013.
- PW Bergholz, TK Chapin, RC Pfuntner, LK Strawn, and M Wiedmann. Quantifying environmental reservoirs in landscape connectivity in foodborne pathogens transmission to produce fields. ASM Meeting, San Francisco, CA, May 2012.
SYMPOSIA ORGANIZED OR CHAIRED (4 total since 2010; only past 3 yrs listed)
- Strawn, LK, M Wiedmann, F Yiannas. Big Data: Food Safety's Holy Grail or Pandora's Box. IAFP Meeting, Indianapolis, IN, 2014.
- (757) 414-0724
33446 Research Dr
- Fax: (757) 414-0730