Joseph Carroll Oakes
Ph.D. Crop Science, 2015, North Carolina State University
M.S. Crop Science, 2012, North Carolina State University
B.S. Biology, 2010, Bob Jones University
Research efforts are primarily focused on support of the Virginia Tech breeding programs for wheat, barley and soybeans. Other research projects supported include evaluation of fertilizer formulations, crop protection chemicals, and crop management practices.
A public field day is held each year, alternating between soybeans and small grains. Tours and lectures are provided for small groups as requested from time to time.
- Oakes, J.C., A. Sadeghpour, and M. Balota. 2017. Grain Sorghum Response to Irrigation in Virginia. Crop, Forage, and Turfgrass Management. doi:10.2134/cftm2017.08.0059. http://dl.sciencesocieties.org/publications/cftm/articles/3/1/cftm/2017.08.0059//
- Joseph Oakes and Maria Balota. 2007. Distinguishing plant population and variety with UAV-derived vegetation indices. Proc. SPIE 10218, Autonomous Air anf Ground Sensing Systems for Agricultural Optimization and Phenotyping II, 102180C; doi:10.1117/12/2262496; http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/12.2262496
- Maria Balota and Joseph Oakes. 2017. UAV remote sensing for phenotyping drought tolerance in peanuts. Proc. SPIE 10218, Autonomous Air and Ground Sensing Systems for Agricultural Optimization and Phenotyping II, 102180C; doi: 10.1117/12.2262496; http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/12/2262496
- Oakes, J.C., R.W. Heiniger, J. Murphy, C. Crozier, G. Wilkerson. 2016. Phyllochton Interval and Yield Response to Planting Date and Fertility in Wheat. Crop, Forage, and Turfgrass Management. https://dl.sciencesocieties.org/publications/cftm/articles/2/1/cftm2016.0..0026
- Oakes, J.C., R.W. Heiniger, J. Murphy. C. Crozier, G. Wilkerson. 2015. Kernel Development in Wheat. Crop, Forage, and Turfgrass Mangement. https://dl.sciencesocieties.org/publication/cftm/abstracts/1/1/cftm2015.0156
2229 Menokin Road
Warsaw, VA 22572