Ph.D., Horticulture – phytoremediation, 2009, Wageningen University (The Netherlands)
M.S., Horticulture - weed science, 1993, North Carolina State University
B.S., Horticulture - landscape design and ornamental plant production, 1990, North Carolina State University
• HORT 6004 Sustainable Landscaping Systems
• HORT 5004 Senior Seminar
• PPWS 4754 Principles of Weed Science
• HRT 240 Principles of Weed Science
• HRT 202 Landscape Plant ID
• VNLA Certified Horticulturist Review Class
• phytoremediation – cleaning water with aquatic plants
• aquatic plant production
• aquatic weed management
• recycled water for landscape irrigation
• storm water and storm water pond management
• sustainable landscape practices
• BayScaping with native plants
• buffer zones
• rain gardens
- Develop water quality resources and educational programs for land managers in Virginia.
- Develop resources, demonstrations, and training programs for Virginia Cooperative Extension agents with horticultural responsibilities.
- Manage the BayScape, buffer, rain, and sustainable landscape practices public demonstration gardens at the Hampton Roads AREC.
- Fox, Laurie, Paul Struik, Bonnie Appleton, Joe Rule and Jerzy Nowak. Phosphorus phytoremediation by water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes (Mart.) Solms). 2008. Water Air Soil Pollut. 194: 199-207.
- Fax: (757) 363-3950